Recreation Advocate

The OutdoorWire family websites feature news and information affecting outdoor recreation opportunities and access to public lands. 
1 minute reading time (217 words)

MN Nonresidents must have ATV trail passes starting Jan. 1

(Released December 28, 2009)

All-terrain vehicle (ATV) operators who are not Minnesota residents must possess a trail pass when driving on state or grant-in-aid trails beginning Jan. 1, when a new state law takes effect. The trail pass does not need to be displayed on the machine, but must be available for inspection when requested by an officer. The pass is required whether the machine is registered in Minnesota or another state.

Nonresidents do not need a pass if operating on a portion of an ATV trail that is owned by the person or the person’s spouse, child, or parent.

ATV operators can purchase one-year nonresident ATV trail passes ($21 new, $2.50 duplicate) through Minnesota’s Electronic License System (ELS). Nonresident passes can be purchased any of three ways:

  • Online go to file:///D:/DNR%20NEWS%202009/ and click on “buy a license.”
  • By phone, call 888-665-4236 (1-MN-LICENSE) any time of day or night, seven days a week. All trail pass purchases can only be made by credit card. There is $3.50 convenience fee per transaction.
  • In person at nearly 1,800 ELS locations around the state. To find locations, visit or call the DNR Information Center at 651-296-6157 or 1-888-646-6367.

More than 15 trails and riding areas are open for winter use in Minnesota. Find maps and other information at

Garmin Introduces Updated Models and Features
New Year 2010

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, JeepWire, TrailTalk, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc. and MUIRNet Consulting. Copyright (c) 1999-2020 OutdoorWire, Inc and MUIRNet Consulting - All Rights Reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without express written permission. You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material. All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.